Saturday, February 25, 2012

Region Lockout

Hey guys, it's SkyFall! Now while our friend over there is putting off games for a month (by the way, I could never do that), I want to talk about a problem some gamers, hardcore or not, have come across...
Region Lock!!!
Now, do I think it's a problem? Maybe. Do I have a problem with it? Slightly. Should it be banned? To a degree, yes. Let me inform those who aren't aware of what region lock really is. Region Lock, or Region Lockout, is a programming code that blocks games to be played on a console, in a different region. Let's say, you own a Wii or Xbox 360. You buy and import a game from wherever the game was made, most likely Japan. So the game was made in Japan, so the text is in Japan. In it's coding, it reads the game as a Japanese game. So you import it to the U.S for example, and you own a North American Nintendo Wii or Microsoft Xbox 360 console. A console that was made, to be read as a North American console. If you try to play the imported game on that console you have, it won't play. Because of regional lockout, you cannot play any game that the software was made for a different country that the console you own is. Now not all consoles are locked. Nintendo Wiis, Xbox 360s, 3DSs, and PSP and DSis to an extent, all have regional lockout. Now this is what bugs some gamers out there. Games that are made in a specific country (I'm going to use Japan as an example from now on, since it's primarily where games are imported from), and aren't ever localized in your country you live in, presents a problem if the game is on a regional locked system. As such, you might have heard of Project Rainfall, a fan campaign to localize 3 RPGs, for the Nintendo Wii. Well, this wouldn't be a problem, if the Wii wasn't region locked. Currently, one of the three, Xenoblade Chronicles, is in the process of being localized at Nintendo of America, while another one was just announced 4 days ago, The Last Story. Now, I'm not interested in buying or playing any of these, though. The reasons for region locking a console, are reasonable, and make sense, but to me they can become inconvenient, the longer you think about it. 1. Pricing. Pricing of games ranges from region to region.You might pay a certain amount in your country, about a low end of 35$ to a high end base price of 55$. But then, because different regions have their own money, could translate the price to a lower or higher price than what you generally pay. I guess it's a good reason, but I don't think it should make any difference.  If you're a hardcore gamer, you'd pay whatever you could to get the game you want, right? 2. Sensitivity. Now this is a reason I understand, and is a large reason why they call it, 'localization'. Some regions, may allow certain elements, which may be offensive in another region. That is simply it, but is a big part in the whole thing as well. 3. Piracy. In some regions, it is more common for a game, or any media, to be pirated, and so if a console is region locked, it becomes harder to pirate a game. But, if the game is published in your region, it can still be pirated, right? Then, I don't understand this. Those are pretty much the main reason, which I get, but again to a degree. 
That's pretty much it. I just wanted to talk about it. Another thing I found out, is that some printers, and their ink cartridges are region locked as well. I wish companies didn't do this, because if they didn't, I would have a load of Japanese games. The whole reason this came up for me, is a certain game is being released next month in Japan, and if it weren't for the 3DS's regional lockout, I would already have this game pre-ordered. But then again, any gamer can just buy a region's console to play the game on as well!

I'm gonna try to post some news about video games, maybe in a week or two. Maybe less. But I see you till then! 

P.S. Have you heard of Pokemon Black and White 2?

1 comment: